Swatch baby, swatch!
I really should have used that in the title as this is such a swatch-heavy post! I’ve never had the opportunity to review an entire lipstick collection at once, so my heart just skipped a beat when I saw the fierce selections released by Buxom Cosmetics for the Holidays this year. If you’re still looking for a last-minute gift for that girlfriend who has it all, well let me just say that lipstick is always a good idea. So look this way!
The driving force behind the Buxom brand ethos is the belief that safe is sexy. They strive to create high-performing makeup formulas that are free of questionable chemicals, free of parabens, sulfates and phthalates. I have discovered the brand back when I was pregnant with my son and detailed my experience in a previous post here. They are available at major beauty retailers such as Sephora, Ulta and Macy’s. There are lots to show you today, so let’s explore, play and swatch!
Take a walk on the wild side this holiday season with Buxom’s limited edition Lips Off Leash set! The set has a value of $150, but is available for a limited time for $59. It features 15 mini lip-plumping glosses in some of Buxom’s most popular shades. Think vivid colors and glamorous textures in lip-loving polish or cream finishes. There are 7 Lip Polishes and 8 Lip Creams included in the set.
Buxom is best known for their lip glosses and for a good reason. Their formulas, regardless of finish, are non-sticky, ultra-comfortable on the lips and provide a slight plumping effect. The Lip Polishes are a bit shearer than the Lip Creams and have ultra-fine shimmers running thru the formula. What I like about Buxom Lip Polishes is that the shimmer is done in a refined manner. It’s almost imperceptible on the lips and catches the light in the most beautiful way, giving the illusion of a seductive, plumper pout. The Lip Creams are creamier, more on the opaque side and vibrant. They go on smooth and provide that trendy lacquered look. While both the Lip Polishes and Lip Creams come in elegant tubes with a doe-foot applicator, the Lip Creams feature a frosted design that looks very chic.
Lip Polish swatches from top to bottom are:
- Brooke – warm-toned nude with fine gold shimmers
- Clair – light mauve with rose gold shimmers
- Sophia – light pinky nude shade with pink shimmers
- Jasmine – ruby shade with copper shimmers
- Stacy – medium mauve with rose shimmers
- Jill – vibrant fuchsia with violet shimmers
- Kayla – medium pink with matching pink shimmers
Lip Creams from top to bottom are:
- Pink Champagne – soft peony pink, a very Kim Kardashian-type shade
- Peach Daiquiri – warm toned light peach
- Dolly – light mauve
- Mudslide – warm-toned medium rose nude
- Berry Bramble – medium raspberry shade
- Wild Orchid – cool-toned medium violet
- Cherry Flip – warm-toned medium orange red
- Sangria – cool-toned blue-ish red, looks more like a dark raspberry on my skin tone
Plump, Pucker & Prowl is a contouring and plumping set with a value of $60 value and currently retailing for $32. It features 3 lip liners and 3 lip creams, all in universally-flattering nude shades. The lip liners have been smartly designed to include a built-in brush for blending and contouring. They are some of my favorite lip liners not only because of the more natural formula, but they’re creamy and apply easily without tugging at the lips.
Lip Liner shades included in the set:
- Undercover – warm-toned chestnut nude, very on-trend
- Stealth – the perfect soft pink, blush color
- Dolly Danger – medium-toned mauve-y rose shade
Lip Cream colors to match lip liners:
The lip liners and lip creams included in the set pair beautifully together, but can also be worn solo. The choice is entirely yours.
Joining Buxom’s highly coveted lip repertoire are the newly launched Metalix Lip Glide Lipsticks. The future of the metallic lip trend, the Metalix Lip Glide creates a glossy, gilded effect that catches the light at every turn. The ultra-balmy formula is infused with jojoba and pomegranate oils, making these lipsticks incredibly comfortable on the lips. They go on creamy and have a foil-like finish. The lasting power is similar to that of cream sheens, so on me, these Metalix lipstick last for about 5 hours without the need to touch-up.
I decided to photograph these lipsticks in the morning light so you could see for yourself just how pigmented, vibrant and smooth these are.
There are 4 shades available, suitable for all skin tones:
- Ruby Luster – a saturated ruby color with ultra-fine gold shimmers
- Starry Rose – a warm-toned nude shade with rose gold shimmers
- Pink Luminatti – a medium pink color with matching pink shimmers that create the most beautiful foil effect
- Violet Spark – a sophisticated deep plum shade with very fine, multi-dimensional silver-blue and violet shimmers
So now swatching party over, did you spot any favorites? The shades Clair, Pink Champagne and Dolly have been staples in my lipstick collection for years! They’re the type of colors I always end up repurchasing! But if I were to recommend just one item from Buxom this holiday season, I would highly suggest trying the Plump, Pucker & Prowl set. It includes a selection of lip liners and lip creams that are universally flattering, pair well together or can be worn individually as well. They are the kind of shades you would probably get the most use out of and wear daily.
This is NOT a sponsored post but it does contain referral links. Read my Disclaimer policy for more info.